Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Engorged in a Feast of Digital Entertainment

The constant assault on my visual and auditory senses is mercifully beginning to wane. Though I still have yet to finish Fallout 3, even after dumping 60 hours of my life into it. Now that Bethesda has finally announced that they will be releasing the dev tools and as well as going into detail about the three DLC expansions they have planned for the coming months I don't think I will be able to escape the game's death-like grip any time soon. And I still have yet to really return to Dead Space or Far Cry 2. I see them sitting there by my side, calling out for attention, only to be ignored. The release of Left 4 Dead does not help, as I feel secure in saying it is one of the finest multiplayer experiences ever crafted. The standard co-op campaign gameplay is pretty great, but surviving the Versus mode, taking on human-controlled opponents, has it's own unique, palpable tension. Conversely, doling out the punishment as one of the special boss zombies has it's own incredible thrill.
I did play through Gears of War 2 with Chris, which was a safely fun experience. I say safe because. obviously. it did not have the same initial impact of the first title, which is to be expected, as it simply iterates on the formula that works really well. Where it tends to fall apart is when any of the characters decides to open their warbleholes and deliver what is supposed to be dialogue. A stronger focus on Epic's part of improving the cut-scenes and including more exposition did not help this weak point. Thankfully it does not get in the way of actual gameplay, and it is not as aggressively stupid as to include a button where you celebrate with your bro. I will probably be picking this up for myself at some point.
And I still have yet to play Mirror's Edge or Episode 2 of Penny Arcade's opus. Also, I think Chrono Trigger for the DS drops today as well. Shit.

-K.

0 comments: