Friday, January 23, 2009

Play This Now: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Demo

Monolith is a developer whose output I've really enjoyed over the years, their body of work including Blood, Aliens vs. Predator 2, No One Lives Forever, and one of my all-time favorites, Condemned: Criminal Origins. Though I was not as enthusiastic about the console-only sequel that followed, nobody's perfect. I also enjoyed the original F.E.A.R. quite a lot, mixing effective horror elements with over-the-top John Woo-style firefights, so much so that I was able to forgive the lack of enemy variety and locations. While retaining the solid gameplay, those concerns, if the demo is any indication, are exactly what Monolith is trying to address in the sequel. While the game feels a bit more console-oriented than the first, with the huge HUD, giant contextual pop-ups and a curious omission of leaning, it looks be shaping up to be a great and thoroughly creepy shooter. I'm not sure of the exact requirements, it wasn't terribly taxing on my machine with everything cranked, so most of you should be able to run it fine. What you will need, though, is hard drive space and patience, because it comes in just under 2 gigs.
As an aside, I also love the way that Monolith has been putting together their demos since the original F.E.A.R.. It is not just the beginning of the game, but an amalgam of parts from different levels from the full game spliced into one.
You can grab it off of Steam, or grab it off of my service of choice, FileShack.

Link, FileShack.

-K.

0 comments: