Thursday, October 9, 2008

If I Had a Million 1200 Dollars

So a few weeks ago someone backed into my car while I was asleep and to their credit they were kind enough to leave a note and take responsibility. The damage does not appear significant, to me at least, but since the cost to repair it would include replacing the driver's side door the estimate I got came to the tune of about $1200, which I have opted to take in the form of a check. I've had the car for about 16 months now and it's already got almost 110,000 miles on it so it's not like the resale value is going to be tremendous when I'm done with it. Unlike before I will not be using this money to purchase another pinball machine (Not even a Neo-Geo arcade cabinet), but rather apply the bulk to my credit card, which will already be seeing considerable use this month and the next.
My dismissive attitude towards the PlayStation 3 is not something I have really kept hidden, and most of that is really the fault of the Sony's PR department going out of their way to tell people that, and this may not be verbatim, we don't need games to get you jerks to buy our crap. And they certainly delivered on that statement. Outside of big releases like Metal Gear Solid 4 and the recent LittleBigPlanet (Of which I was also dismissive but word-of-mouth is beginning to spread and I'm slowly starting to take notice), there isn't much the system has to offer that I could not consume elsewhere. So, obviously, it's not a platform that is on my radar. But while I'm pondering how I'm going to divy up this cash, last night a friend of mine tells me about Sega's Valkyria Chronicles, a PS3 exclusive.
From what I've been able to discern from various media which I have spent much of the morning consuming it is a turn-based real-time strategy action RPG, in which you get to control each individual unit's specific movement and attacks in real time. This same friend spent some time in the Land of the Rising Fun and talked about getting his hands on it during his visit, telling me it is exactly the kind of game I'd get really into. From the looks of it, he's right. Goddamn it.

-K.

0 comments: