Monday, May 19, 2008

What I (Dis)Liked Last Week

Again, another week where my gaming time, what little I had, was dominated by Grand Theft Auto IV. I understand I'm creeping ever closer to the end and I'm trying to extend it as long as I can while still getting other stuff done, taking care of all the Vigilante and Assassin side missions, doing activities with other characters to unlock their perks, etc. It really helps that there isn't another big release I can think of anytime soon that would draw my attention away, because the idea of falling behind and having a backlog on my leisure time would be a grim scenario indeed.
I still haven't given the LEGO Indiana Jones demo a whirl yet, but if LEGO Star Wars was any indicator it'll be cute and fun for an hour or two and then I'll get bored with it, in which case the demo served as a perfectly acceptable substitute in lieu of the full product.
Finally played Mario Kart Wii at the mega barbecue, most of you reading this probably attended and also played, and it is, indeed, a Mario Kart game. I'm not usually one to get on Nintendo's case about milking franchises because, while I have not yet played Galaxy, I still enjoy Mario's forays into platforming, RPGs and even some of the sports games. While almost each of the "official" platforming sequels in some way tries to bring new elements to the table, Mario Kart has barely changed since it's debut on the SNES apart from the addition of the bullshit blue shell. From the looks of things the majority of the tracks are recreations from previous games, which only serves to draw attention to a lack of originality that I often try my best to overlook when it comes to Nintendo. I understand that there's only so much you can do with a cart racer and it's selling like crazy so I can't fault them for, seemingly, giving people what they want.

So in the course of the last couple days I've apparently lost fifteen pounds. Maybe, just maybe, I have a bad scale. Skipped breakfast in favor of one of those shakes and it's becoming hard, especially with a slow day here, to resist the call of going to the vending machine which is literally right outside the door. Already dark clouds are surrounding this plan which will only lead up to an insane and shameful gorgefest of chocolate and salty snacks, where authorities will no doubt find me underneath a pile of plastic wrappers, sobbing while attempting to cram another Payday bar into my mouth.

Lastly, if there was one movie I would bother to go see an early midnight showing of it would be the new Indy, but now I'm in a rare position of not having a workable schedule. Goddamn it.

-K.

0 comments: