Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Deep Thoughts


After hearing a little bit of buzz I decided to check out the just released "art" game Fathom by Adam "Atomic" Saltsman, a fellow who worked on the Wii version of Cave Story among other things, which seems to be more of a commentary on standard game conventions than a game itself. Without giving too much away it presents a different look on our usual expectations for game flow, especially when confronted with no-win situations.
I don't want to go this whole post sounding like a pretentious douche so I will say that while it is an interesting piece, it lacks an entertaining punch and is not as straightforward as, say, similar recent arty game Today I Die. Fathom can be a chore to get through, and it would be totally understandable if you simply lose patience with it halfway in. If you can't make it to the end just look up An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge, it's basically the video game version of that.

-K.

1 comments:

Theron said...

You have checked out "I Wish I Were the Moon," by the same guy, right?