Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Taste Supreme

I spend a lot of my time here trying to shift my mental focus on things other than my job, mostly to keep murderous rage at bay. Recently I've been occupying that space with thoughts about what the upcoming Tivoli midnight schedule will be like, and what I would show if it were up to me. Just single films here, even though my ideas for Back to Back to Back to the Future and Evil Dead Complete (All three films can easily be cut together to form one seamless feature) are totally awesome. This also gives me a chance to mention a few semi-obscure to totally obscure films I've been meaning to talk about in a form that requires the least amount of elaboration:

Blade Runner - This needs no explanation, this should simply be an annual event. I would not mind seeing the original theatrical version again just for contrast, but Final Cut is pretty goddamn awesome.
The Hudsucker Proxy - One of the least well-known and underappreciated Coen Brothers movies, their loving homage to the screwball comedies of the 30's and 40's is just as good as any of their other films. Co-written by Sam Raimi.
L.A. Confidential - I cannot stress it enough, one of the best films of all time.
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - It has been a very long time since I have seen this, so I don't know how well it would hold up, but it is perfect midnight film material.
The Frighteners - Peter Jackson's first American film, just before Lord of the Rings, is bizarre, funny and just a goddamn hoot.
Silver Streak - I really enjoy movies set on a train for some reason, and while this Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor thriller-comedy takes some time to get going, and the latter of the pair doesn't even show up until an hour into the film, it's a very enjoyable watch.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - After the abysmal first theatrical outing, the crew of the Enterpise get down to business in this gripping, engrossing adventure of... Oh forget it, KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!
Heavy Metal - Really I just want to see some animated boobs on a big screen, but without the tentacles.
Hard Boiled
- It's been too long since I've seen Chow Yun-Fat dive through windows with two pistols blazing.
Outland - Another movie I have not seen in a long time, but this is all you need to know: Outland is a remake of High Noon with Sean Connery. In space.
Wizards - I don't know how well this one holds up either, I only remember it being very violent. Really that's what I want out of an animated midnight movie.
Twice Upon a Time - Two unlikely heroes get mixed up in a battle of dreams and nightmares in this uniquely stylized, highly imaginative and funny animated film. It is a goddamn crime that virtually no one has even heard of this film, especially considering one of the producers was George Lucas. I'm not even sure if prints of this still exist, it's not available on DVD and copies of the VHS version are very rare. Someone managed to put together a "restoration cut," which mostly features more profane dialogue from the film's antagonist, which, surprisingly, I don't think works as well as the more family-friendly version, and threw it on YouTube.

I'm a goddamn nerd.

-K.

0 comments: