Friday, September 4, 2009

Party Like it's 1991: Knights of the Chalice



This dropped a while back but I never really got around to jumping into the demo until recently, Knights of the Chalice is a turn-based RPG that admirably attempts to recreate a tabletop game, notably making use of the D20 Open Gaming License to try to keep things familiar with those, well, familiar. Unfortunately I am not one terribly familiar with D&D experiences and though I mused for such a digital experience in the past, this one is a little bulky with the retro, DOS-era presentation and somewhat unfriendly interface, but it does present that truly turn-based combat I was looking for. I'm trying to soldier on with it and get my head around the controls and actions, because I think there's an enjoyable experience here, but I get the sense it was probably made for those already fully versed in the mechanics in mind. If you've got the patience and/or knowledge required you wouldn't be doing yourself any harm in checking out the demo.

-K.

2 comments:

Theron said...

I don't know if you've checked out the Avernum series before. I have a hard time believing someone who likes indie games as much as you do hasn't played them, but demos may be feasted upon here:

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html

Kyle said...

I've only heard people mention Avernum on message boards and the like but never checked it out. I attempted to play the first Geneforge way back in 2002 but couldn't really get into it.