Friday, September 11, 2009

We're Getting Old, Part 1 (TurboGrafx-16)



There are a few stories that I haven't touched on in a timely matter because I happen to be lazy, probably because I'm getting older, LIKE THESE SYSTEMS! (KA-POW!)

I almost didn't believe it, but the TurboGrafx-16 turned 20 back in the last week of Aug
ust. 1Up ran a decent retrospective piece more focused on the business side of things and why the system didn't really take off in America.
I have a very faint memory of playing the system prior to getting one, they had it on display at the Children's Palace on Lindbergh (Now a JC Penny Home Store), playing the launch title Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. Even after I had owned it and played it for a number of years it wasn't really until I started writing this that I realize Keith Courage wasn't a very good game, but all of my gaming experience at the time came from the NES and Apple II, so it was mind-blowing, all those colors!
My parents got me one shortly after it was discontinued and the price dropped to fifty bucks. Even though the Genesis and SNES were out at the time and were already boasting a better lineup of titles, I didn't really care, this was something nobody else seemed to know existed and I was playing games none of my friends would. So what I'm saying is that I was an indie douche in my childhood.
I even owned the TurboExpress at one point, which was the handheld version of the system itself. It was large and bulky and strange, I'm pretty sure I've seen it used as some sort of elaborate tracking device or alien object in a few bad straight-to-video action movies. Despite proudly displaying games in full color, the green and black tints of the GameBoy reigned supreme. The major problem was, like the original system itself, affordability, because it hit the market in 1992 at $249, which is a hundred bucks more than what the Nintendo DS started at twelve years later. It also burned through 6 AA batteries in just a couple of hours. But damn if it wasn't impressive at the time.
Unfortunately I sold every piece of TurboGrafx material I owned on eBay, like I did with my top-loading NES and games, and I greatly regret both actions. Perhaps the nostalgia bug will bite harder and I'll reunite myself with the system, certainly I am not immune from that.
I'd like to share some footage of the titles that I have fond memories of:




Keith Courage in Alpha Zones - Yeah, you can probably tell just by watching this that it wasn't very good, a kind of feeble attempt at a Zelda II-ish side-scroller. Though it featured that unique method of rainbow transporation long before Katamari Damacy saw the light of day.




Bonk's Revenge
- Despite not being the launch title, Bonk more or less became the mascot of the system, though certainly didn't even put a dent into the popularity of Mario or Sonic. It's a fairly standard platformer, but had style and charm, which goes a long way.




Galaga '90 - Namco was a name that still carried some heft back in those days, and they threw their weight behind the system with a great update to the arcade classic. I have a distinct memory from when I was about 9 or 10, my brother and I were switching rooms over the summer and I spent a night where all I had was a mattress on the floor and a TV to play this.




Pac-Land - This was a real curiosity, I remember being very excited about getting this game, even though the resemblance to the original gameplay concepts of Pac-Man are extremely thin. I remember correctly the two buttons were used to run left and right and the d-pad was used to jump. Weird!




Bomberman '94 - This is the only game I ever recall importing, and it required this ridiculously long circuit board dongle thingie to run properly on US hardware. Trying to get a round of Battle mode going when all the menu options beyond the title screen are in Japanese was kind of a pain, but being a fan of Bomberman it was totally worth it.


Part 2, the slightly more recognized celebration of the Dreamcast, is coming soon and will almost definitely be a less grueling affair to read.

-K.

2 comments:

Theron said...

Kyle, how did you forget Theron's Quest?

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/252

Kyle said...

Very easily, it seems.