Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What I (Dis)LIked Last Week

I realize that I said I would have last week's Play This Now up by Saturday and it is now Tuesday. The game I had in mind is not yet available at the ideal price, which is to say free, but should be by Friday and I will make note of it then.
I mostly kept myself busy with DS and GBA games with my main course continuing to be more Grand Theft Auto 4, with some general dicking around and also replaying the story. Last night was spent in "Party Mode," which is essentially a private multiplayer lobby, a free mode you can tear around in, with heaps of firearms and items strewn about, without fear of police retribution, while you try to wrangle your online friends in to move on to actual gametypes. But this mode also serves well for actual "parties," passing the controller around while we slowly, but freely brought the city to ruins. Though without a police presence you are basically limited to exploring, murdering civilians or finding creative ways to commit suicide, but in a communal setting, especially comprising of those with slightly maligned senses of humor, is quite enough. It is the only kind of setting in which making your way to a public park so you have more people to run over results in uproarious laughter, or going to great lengths to find an appropriate situation in which you can launch yourself off of your motorcycle for maximum injury.
It brings me back to my previous mention of appreciation that Rockstar took the time to craft and polish a world with resonate characters and a compelling story, but it still appeals to an audience not so concerned with that. When you fly helicopter to maximum altitude and leap out only to produce a gruesome impact, that's just funny.


-K.

0 comments: