Friday, July 18, 2008

Late Thursday Morning Video Game Trailer: Max Payne E3 2001 Trailer

With all the hubub surrounding E3 I chose to overlook regular content updates, though I often choose to overlook them with startling regularity. There wasn't much juicy information to glean from the news sites last night, not to me, anyway. Perhaps the journalists in question are just spending time convalescing from the near round-the-clock festivities, making the long treks back to their dark headquarters, and I imagine we'll see quite a lot of E3-related content and hands-on footage in the coming days. I'll probably sift through the rubble over the weekend and come up with another collection of the small nuggets I deem awesome to post next week. There was one big announcement in BioWare finally coming out and saying, after months and months of rumor and speculation, that they are working on a new Star Wars MMO. Specifically, a Knights of the Old Republic MMO. I'm not hot on MMOs so it'll probably get a pass from me, unless they come up with something extremely compelling. Overall, though, the event did give us some exciting and entertaining insight into games I was already looking forward to and put a few on the map that I hadn't really given much attention, and I'm sad to see it's already over. I am a nerd, by choice and hopefully someday by trade, so there is a palpable excitement and feeling of suspense with this convention, not knowing what preview or screenshot or video may soon drop into laps, and rejoicing at things that we hope will not suck. I hope it's still around next year.

At any rate, to close out E3 week, I thought I'd put up one of my favorite game trailers ever. Though it's starting to look pretty dated, here's the Max Payne trailer that debuted at E3 in 2001. This is how you sell a game, not with an entirely gameplay-less CG trailer. Make it cinematic, make it in-game, and then show some awesome action from the game itself.




Also this bit of a blunder on Ubisoft's part is both sad and entertaining.

-K.

0 comments: