Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Escape From the Buckle of the Bible Belt


Things will be on a short hiatus since tomorrow I depart to celebrate our nation's birthday by watching things explode at the lake house in Alabama. The family is already down there and I hope that my vehicle will make the six to seven hour journey in one piece. I will be back Sunday at the latest, depending on whether or not I choose to leave on Saturday. There's not much to do down there besides go out on the lake or up the river, which is nice, but that's basically it. The closest thing resembling a large civilized area is the town of Florence and that's at least a half hour away from the house and even then it's one of those places where everything tends to close after six. While I was watching the ball game tonight there was an ad featuring a family hiklng through the woods and canoing down a river and sitting around a campfire with a voice-over saying "No internet... No DVDs... No video games... Plan your Missouri getaway today" and all I could think of is that, to me, that sounded more like an advertisement for Hell itself.

-K.

0 comments: