Friday, September 12, 2008

Ye Olde Game Shoppe

So I finally got into the beta for Good Old Games, which is basically exactly what I've been pining for recently; A Steam-like service for old games. I don't know why an online store needs a beta, but who knows. What Valve does with their service is admirable, most recently putting up the entire X-COM collection and the first two Oddworld games, but a service that focuses entirely on just bringing you these titles, retooled to function with XP or Vista, reasonably price (It looks like most everything is $5.99) and absolutely no DRM, is especially appealing. I logged in for the first time yesterday, picking up Shogo, Fallout Tactics and Descent 3 (Plus the expansion) for a little under $20. I kind of regret Shogo, because at the time it was a pretty fun shooter from a still fairly new Monolith Productions, but it has not aged well. Also I had some technical issues with the game, so it's not perfect, but part of the service is continuing to address these problems. They plan to have a new release every week, and if they can keep it up I imagine I'll be talking about the service fairly frequently.

On an unrelated note, I finally updated the Stuff You Should Like, on the right column, after months of neglect.

-K.

0 comments: