Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Interplay it Again


Interplay, who I was sure was going to be dead and gone long before now after announcing their latest project, while they were already in a very bad spot, would be a Fallout MMO. As the market stands now, I simply do not see the value in creating an MMO, because Blizzard has essentially won that market, for the time being at least. It takes a lot of time, a lot of money, and you're basically swinging for the fences on a long shot, dozens have tried and failed. Instead of putting your company on the chopping block for a huge gamble, I always thought it would be a good idea to make some money on smaller games and work with the properties they still had. Clearly their internet spies, who know I'm a pretty big deal on the intertron, were paying attenion. They just announced that they're working on new titles in the MDK, Earthworm Jim, and Descent franchises. That sounds really good to me.


Also sometime last year Square released a 3D remake of Final Fantasy III for DS (The real FF3, not just FF6 renamed for the US), and now they're set to do the same thing with Final Fantasy IV this summer. I'm not too big on the FF series since the cast of incredibly dim-witted clownshoes made me stop playing Final Fantasy X half way through and I didn't even bother with X-2 due to the relentlessly irritating "girl power" vibe I got from it. Square could really win my favor again if they started bring the Front Mission games back overseas, or announced a sequel to Vagrant Story, or remade Chrono Trigger. There's actually a possibility to that last one, though. During an interview in Nintendo Power recently with director Takashi Tokita stated, "Chrono Trigger was a no-holds-barred, swashbuckling adventure that was a lot of fun to work on. If the demand is great enough, it's certainly possible." I am demanding this, and I hate most JRPGs. If they gave Chrono Trigger the same 3D treatment they did with these FF games, I'd buy twenty.

I don't know what I'd do with the other nineteen, though.


-K.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got dibs on one copy